Blog Archive - Rent My Property
Why don’t I have hot water?
Do power companies control your hot water? YES
Since the 50s, Auckland has had a load management system based on a ripple control system
This allows the electricity supply for domestic and commercial Hot water cylinders to be switched on and of.
This means the power companies can remotely control your hot water!
Hot water runs on a different circuit from the rest of the property so during peak times or in power shortages it can be closed off by the power company
Are you having these problems?
1. My hot water is not working but power is on
2. Fuses are not blown but hot water is not
Why do they cut my hot water off?
Peak power times / on peak:
- Controls water heating when power usage is high
- During peak times the power company will control no more than 4 hours in a 8 hour period
Fixed time control / off peak:
- Turns on hot water cylinders at night when usage is at low levels and energy prices are cheaper
- This is when the cheaper tariffs kick in such as “weekend”, “day/night”, “night only”
- Provides continuous power to the hot water without any control from the power company. Only interrupted to prevent or during outages
How do they turn of my how water?
- Ripple equipment located within each local network signals to ripple control receivers at the property
- It can be done manually by the local network company when there is a local outages or requests to reduce demand from the operator
Some helpful links:
Mercury power: http://www.mercury.co.nz/terms/residential.aspx#InterruptionstoSupply_11
Vector energy: http://vector.co.nz/electricity/load-management
Feel free to contact us for more tips:
LJ Hooker Onehunga
Nick Powell - Property Manager Specialist - LJ Hooker